The Nazi politicians from Germany arrive at the Adolf Hitler House at around 4 p.m.
The motorcade from Aspern airfield was diverted at the Praterstern. As hundreds of supporters have waited in vain on Mariahilfer Strasse, the visitors drive a few laps around the party headquarters at Hirschengasse 25. Despite rain showers, the National Socialists still line the streets to welcome their party leaders with salutes and shouts of "Heil Hitler!" As at the Lassalle Hof earlier, altercations with political opponents ensue. "The police had to make use of truncheons to clean the streets," reports the Wiener Zeitung, the official newspaper of the Austrian federal government. According to the Christian Social Reichspost, "fifty National Socialists and thirty-six Social Democrats" are arrested in the course of the afternoon for disturbing the peace, violence, or insulting police officers.
The building at Hirschengasse 25 had come into the ownership of the Vienna NSDAP on October 14, 1931. It was officially named Adolf Hitler House but referred to in the press as the Brown House. SS men lived close to the party headquarters and there was also an SA hostel nearby. The choice of location was provocative, because the district was not only regarded as a "cradle of the workers' movement," but was also a center of the Jewish community in the districts of Mariahilf and Neubau. Until 2019, the former Adolf Hitler House was a youth hostel for students from other parts of Austria, who visited Vienna on traditional group trips to the capital.
May 13, 1933 – 2 p.m.
May 14, 1933 – 2 p.m.
Campus Medius does not run anymore on Internet Explorer. Please use the website in one of the following web browsers: Google Chrome (recommended), Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, Microsoft Edge.
Campus Medius läuft nicht mehr im Internet Explorer. Bitte nutzen Sie die Website in einem der folgenden Webbrowser: Google Chrome (empfohlen), Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, Microsoft Edge.