In the Leopoldstadt, Vienna's second municipal district, the Nazi politicians from Germany driving from Aspern airfield to the Adolf Hitler House in a motorcade encounter left-wing protest. As the cars and motorcycles cross the Reichsbrücke bridge, whistles and boos sound out. The residents of the municipal public housing (Gemeindebau) at Lassallestrasse 40–44, red flags flying from its windows and balconies, air their views openly:
From the Lassalle Hof, which had been cordoned off by the police, the workers looked down from their windows, but from the back. Body parts were visible that the Nazi ministers were supposed to understand as a call to make the Götz quote a reality.
To avoid further conflict, the police alter the route. The German visitors are not allowed to drive along Praterstrasse and the Ring as planned, but have to take Franzensbrückenstrasse from the Praterstern and continue along Löwengasse, the so-called Lastenstrasse, and Gumpendorfer Strasse, where neither supporters nor opponents await them.
The Lassalle Hof was built from 1924 to 1926 and designed by the architect Hubert Gessner, a student of Otto Wagner. It was one of the first major public housing projects erected in the "Red Vienna" of the interwar years. The architecture historian Eve Blau writes about these residential complexes:
For the Social Democrats, who came to power in Vienna in 1919 and governed Austria's capital until 1934, the construction program with over 400 new municipal constructions, which had to be inserted between Vienna's existing buildings, formed the core of extensive reform plans for redesigning the city's social and economic infrastructure according to socialist principles.
Named after Ferdinand Lassalle, a pioneer of the German workers' movement, the building comprised 290 apartments spread across six stories. On the ground floor facing Lassallestrasse were shops and a public library. The top floor of the tower above the main building was used as a photography studio by the Social Democratic association Friends of Nature (Naturfreunde). Located between the Reichsbrücke and the Praterstern, the monumental Lassalle Hof still dominates one of Vienna's northeastern arterial roads today.
May 13, 1933 – 2 p.m.
May 14, 1933 – 2 p.m.
Campus Medius does not run anymore on Internet Explorer. Please use the website in one of the following web browsers: Google Chrome (recommended), Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, Microsoft Edge.
Campus Medius läuft nicht mehr im Internet Explorer. Bitte nutzen Sie die Website in einem der folgenden Webbrowser: Google Chrome (empfohlen), Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, Microsoft Edge.